Sunday, October 11, 2009

French, no Frenchier... no, More Frenchy!!!


Another one from back in the day. Same printshop all my previous stories have come from. We had a client come in who was starting a new store with candles & body-care products (lotions & such) and she needed to be fitted out from top to bottom, business cards, letterheads, etc, etc, etc... Jackpot!!

So she comes in for her first consult, and I'm working on her logo. She wants it in a script font, but I'm encouraging her towards something easy to read from a distance, if she wants to use it on signs and such. So I ask her for her ideas, inspirations, etc... so that I can start working something up from her. It's like pulling teeth. The only thing I can get out of her is that she wants a script font. And she wants it to be "french". Everything I show her, she declines, saying she wants it to be more "French". So guess what we end up with??? Oh, yes, that's right... French Script! (Apparently the font name was all she needed to tell her that this was indeed "french" enough for her).

This woman was a thorn in my side for the next year. Every time she came in, she had yet another ridiculous request. First it was 3 x 3 labels (which I had to order from a third party) for her homemade candles. Next it was tiny 1 x 2" tags for lotions & such that had to have a hole punched in them, and were barely 1 x 1" once folded. If that wasn't bad enough, these tags were printed in 5, count 'em FIVE!!! spot colors. The alignment was driving the pressman crazy, not to mention we had to leave room for the hole punch. Plus she picked a heavy linen cardstock that was impossible to print in a way that the fold would follow the grain of the paper, so all the folds were rough-looking. It was ridiculous.

I think the day she came in to pick up the folded tags was the first day I realized she had a good-sized patch of hair on her chest. Ick! Not exactly the person I want to be buying body-care products from, hmmm? She gradually tapered off on the stuff she ordered from us, and eventually never came back. I'd never visited her store, so I can only suppose that it closed.


No comments:

Post a Comment